Directions to Rifle Ranges
Twenty rounds fired by Phil Crowe, B & G member, in the slow prone stage at the 2006 Alabama State Reduced Course Championship held at the Magic City Gun Club.
There are several good shooting clubs and ranges in Northern Alabama and Southern Tennessee that hold competitive events for rifle and pistol shooters. This page is dedicated to rifle shooting. The shooting ranges on this page, are split between private and public ranges. We listed the sites in no particular order and all of the club sites offer competitive rifle matches that are frequented by Blue and Gray members. The public ranges don’t offer competitive events, but, they are a place to shoot. Also, the public ranges are located in State Wildlife Areas and require a valid Heritage, Hunting, or Fishing License.
Below are directions from Huntsville for:
The Blue and Gray holds both NRA and CMP sanctioned matches. On the NRA side, there are regular reduced course (100 yard) High Power matches that are usually held the first Saturday of the month. They also shoot NRA small bore at 50 and 100 yards on the second Saturday. Some CMP events are on the regular schedule at the beginning of the year and others just pop-up. Examples of some of the CMP sanctioned events are the John C Garand match, Springfield match, and M1 Carbine match. On the third Saturday of the month there is a precision match held on the 200 yard range. The precision match is a Blue and Gray event and the rules vary from one month to the next. It is a fun competition with prizes (hats, shirts, coffee cups, etc) for the winner. The Precision match has its own web site that lists past scores and rules.To get to the Blue and Gray range:
- GOVERNORS DR SW(US-431) past the hospital and over Monte Santo mountain
- Right at green sign for Guntersville Lock and Dam
- Three miles down the road to another sign for the Dam
- Left just before a yellow ‘pipe’ gate to the dam
- Directly in front of you is another yellow ‘pipe’ gate – the entrance to Blue and Gray
Arnold Air Force Base maintains training ranges for the Tennessee Army National Guard. The Guard has first class facilities with target pits and carriers on a range that allows points of fire for 200, 300, 600, and 1,000 yards. The Blue and Gray Rifle and Pistol Club is fortunate to have an agreement with the National Guard and hold matches at the training facility. The club works together with the Warren County Rifle Club (WCRC), of Warren County, Tennessee. The WCRC hosts the long range matches and the B&G hold most of the the across the course high power matches. Shooting schedules at the base are sporadic and subject to change on a moments notice due to National Guard training requirements.
To get to the Arnold Air Force Base range:
- HUNTSVILLE HWY(US-231)(parkway) North to Fayetteville, TN
- Right on THORNTON TAYLOR PKY(US-64 E)
- Right on DAVID CROCKETT HWY(US-64)
- Left on TN-50
- Continue on TN-55 (TN-50 swings to the right and TN-55 continues straight)
- Right on N JACKSON ST (TN-50 comes to a tee in the road)
- Left on Carroll St (the 4th light)
- Right at the next light (first light across the bridge)
- Enter Arnold Air Force Base
- Left at the NG Range sign
- Proceed across a set of railroad tracks
- the range is on your right.
The Chattanooga Rifle Club has an extensive range layout. The club was formed in the early 1900’s and they have ranges for rifle, pistol, and submachine guns. The CRC regularly holds competitive events and visiting shooters are welcome. The High-Power Rifle Range has open air firing points at 200, 300 and 500 yards, and lift-type target frames in the pit area. It can accommodate up to 8 shooters per relay.
To get to the Chattanooga Rifle Club range:
- Rte 72 North
- Rte 24 East
- Rte 75 North to Exit 11
- Turn left under the freeway to stop sign
- Left at stop sign (Hunter Road)
- 3.7 miles, range is on the right
Skyline WMA Shooting Range is located off Hwy 146, Skyline, AL 35405. Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25, 50 yd.), Outdoor Rifle (25, 50, 100, 200 yd.) Take note that the WMA ranges close for Duck season (Thanksgiving to end of Jan) and may close for other hunting seasons. For more information call 256-435-5422.
To get to the Skyline range:
- US-72 E to Rte 79
- Left on Rte 79 North
- Left on Rte 146
- About four miles on right is a brown sign for the Wildlife Management Area.
- GPS Coordinates: N 34.8534, W 86.1310
Swan Creek WMA Shooting Range is located off US 31 about four miles North of Decatur. Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25, 50 yd.), Outdoor Rifle (25, 50, 100 yd.) Take note that the WMA ranges close for Duck season and may close for other hunting seasons.
To get to the Swan Creek range:
- Interstate 565 to US 31 north toward Athens
- Past Calhoun Community College
- Left at Thompson Caterpillar Equipment
- Entrance to the range is the first dirt road on the right